|You will discover that Sandy Rural Fire Protection District No. 72 highly values its members and works hard to bring in the best.
Some years more people apply for volunteer firefighter positions than there are openings available. When this happens, each applicant is evaluated as to the contributions they bring and make for
This is a full year long academy of Fire and EMS training.
- Step one: Recruitment Process for two months (September-November) Applications, Backgrounds, and Driving Records.
- Step two: Written/Physical agility exams (2nd & 3rd Saturdays in November)
- Step three: Interviews (First week of December) Second or third week, letters go out for denials and approvals into the academy.
- Start of the Academy: First Week of January, first night is a meet and greet with new recruits and their significant others. The second night following is the start of class.
- The Fire Program consist of just under 200 hours of training from January-July, this includes 26 Thursdays evening from 7pm-10pm this is the lecture portion of academy.
- 12 Saturdays from 8am-5pm which is the practical and hands-on part of the academy.
- This will also include two full weekends, Friday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday for Hazmat and Wildland training.
- Finally, the last Thursday of June is Graduation from the Fire Program. Following graduation, the recruits get a two month break then start into the six month EMS program with a similar
- During all of the recruit training the individuals selected are encouraged to meet the Districts requirements (this is in addition to the recruit requirements) of 7 Regular drills a quarter
and 40 emergency responses.
Sandy Volunteer Membership Application will be available September
3, 2014. The application needs to be returned to the district no later than November 7, 2014, 5:00pm. For a copy of the Work-Sample Physical
Ability Test in PDF format to familiarize you with this part of the entrance exam click here.
If you have questions regarding the District, the Volunteer program, or the application process, please feel free to contact Div. Chief Jason McKinnon. Thank you for your interest in our Fire District. It is an excellent District and we welcome your interest in it.